The High risk of pregnancies may include a cerebral palsy birth injury, the woman having an abnormal weight, premature birth, those with multiple pregnancies, etc. the doctors have to pay closer attention on the condition of the mother and the infant during a high-risk pregnancy.
Getting pregnant is the most joyful experience to each and every woman and the rest of the family members, but having a birth injury could lead into the most frightening and the saddest thing that ever happened. Though each pregnancy has just a small risk of a birth injury, some pregnancy conditions carry the high-risk situations.
However, the condition of the mother should not be used as a consideration to excuse her from the doctor’s medical negligence that results to birth injury. If an OB fails to know about the high-risk conditions of pregnancy and/or they fail to provide a proper treatment on the said woman with high-risk of pregnancy resulting in a birth injury, the woman’s family can file a case against the doctor for medical malpractice. And this time you can hire a birth injury lawyer.
Below are the types of high risk for birth injury which a birth lawyer can defend on you:
1. Gestational diabetes
2. Preterm labor
3. Older women
4. New health conditions which arise prior and during pregnancy
5. Autoimmune disorders
6. Abnormal weight
7. Heart and kidney disease
8. Preeclampsia/PIH/high pressure
9. Multiple pregnancies (giving birth to twins or triplets
10. Vaginal birth on after cesarean
11. Sexually transmitted infections and diseases
12. Premature rupture on the membranes
13. An extra-large baby which is very difficult to exit from birth canal vaginally
Often, women who belong to a high-risk of pregnancy and whom experiencing birth injury, usually do not know that one of cause for such cases are because of the doctor’s negligence and are responsible for such birth injury. Here are few instances to which this may occur:
1. Advance maternal for the age. An older mother is considered a high-risk for having birth injury and birth disorders including premature birth, miscarriage, gestational diabetes, and Down Syndrome. Specific medical testing should be done to help the mother prevent from birth injury by detecting if there are chromosomal defects on the fetus. If the doctors will not test for this, then they are liable if in the case birth injury may happen. A birth injury lawyer can do a help on this. Click here for more info!
2. Premature birth. Those babies that born prematurely were considered having the high-risk conditions on birth injury like cerebral palsy, developmental disability, and or delivery trauma. The earlier the baby is delivered prematurely, the more it can experience the high-risk of birth injury.
3. Large fetus. Compared to an average sized infant to a large baby, average babies are less risk of birth injury than the large one. The doctor must monitor the development of the fetus, specifically on the size during ultrasound to be able to know in advance what could be size of the baby on every stages during pregnancy.
4. Premature rupture membranes. When a pregnant woman’s waters break, the amniotic sac that surrounds the baby breaks too. This is known as the rupture of the membranes. A birth injury may happen during this time if the membrane breaks before the 37th week during pregnancy. See it from here:http://medicalmalpracticedoctors.com/birth-injuries-medical-malpractice-lawyers/
It is better to consult and have your checkup on the doctor during pregnancy to prevent such a birthing injury to occur. If you have any doubts about how you or your child were treated during pregnancy, consult a birth injury lawyer today.